club D

I'm a 38-year-old gal, living in the Washington, DC area, who loves going to concerts of all kinds. My blog tracks most shows I attend. Hope you enjoy, and feel free to comment!

Thursday, July 05, 2007

Taste (and Sounds) of Chicago


July 4th
Grant Park, Chicago

I arrived in Chicago yesterday afternoon, somewhat famished. After dropping my bag at my friend's condo in Wrigleyville, I figured I could find some good eatin' at Taste of Chicago, a huge festival in Grant Park with food booths from more than 70 restaurants. I hopped on the train to Monroe and State, and walked over to the park. It was a gorgeous day, sunny and warm, and thousands of people were roaming about enjoying the festival. I bought some "taste tickets" and off I went sampling some yummy foods.

As I walked with my red beans & rice with plantains, I heard music nearby. Naturally, I had to check out the entertainment. Free concert. Very crowded. Sounds bluesy and rockin'. Wow! Robert Randolph & the Family Band was rockin' out on the big stage. After a bit, I found a side stage with some funky local blues band led by Dave Weld. Pretty good stuff. Back to the main stage I went where they were just announcing the next act...John Mayer!

The sound mix was fantastic, really showcasing Mayer's sultry, smoky voice. He opened with "No Such Thing," the smash from his debut album, Room for Squares, and he and his band rolled through a roster of songs perfect for a relaxing, sunny day in the park.

I wandered over for a bit to the side stage to find a nine-piece band playing Cuban music. Led by Hector Sylveira, they were rockin' with a solid horn section and percussion. Back at the main stage, Mayer was still singing, and then came the surprise. The legendary Buddy Guy came out, guitar blazing, to join Mayer on "Sweet Home Chicago."

Ahh, the sweet sounds of Chicago. Tomorrow, the Police will play Wrigley Field, and I'll be there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home