club D

I'm a 38-year-old gal, living in the Washington, DC area, who loves going to concerts of all kinds. My blog tracks most shows I attend. Hope you enjoy, and feel free to comment!

Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Dylan, Costello: Opposite Sides of Coherence

Bob Dylan and Elvis Costello
Merriweather Post Pavilion / Columbia, Maryland
September 28


My problem with Bob Dylan’s show last night was self-inflicted: I was neither drunk nor high and at least one of these states of mind is required to understand this man.

What’s essential to have when you have a singing voice that would scare young children? Answer: an incredible backing band. The five-piece band backing Dylan was exceptional, though I still couldn’t differentiate among songs, as he mumbled through much of his set. I know he’s a poet and an icon of his generation but perhaps he can let some of us in on his wise words. Instead, I looked blankly around for someone to give me clues but the only two people near me on the lawn who seemed to soak in every word were also twirling around in a drug haze.

Despite Dylan’s voice sounding as though he’s singing through a black lung, there were traces of familiar stuff and at times I understood whole verses, such as "Working Man’s Blues" from his most recent album, released last year. My favorite song of his set, it was upbeat and understandable. He ended with a retooled version of “Blowing in the Wind,” so retooled that I barely recognized it.

My whole reason for being at this show was the opening set by Elvis Costello who, as always, did not disappoint. For the first time in 12 years, Costello performed solo and it was magnificent, albeit too brief. In the 45-minute set, he opened with “Red Shoes,” and included some of his best-loved classics: “Veronica,” “Allison,” and “What’s So Funny ‘Bout Peace, Love, and Understanding.”

Costello’s voice soared, an instrument in itself, and it was stunning. He stayed true to the original melodies and was a model of perfect articulation. His setlist included “Radio Sweetheart,” the more obscure “In Another Room,” and “From Sulfur to Sugar Cane,” which was co-written with T-Bone Burnett.

The crowd was rapt and at times participatory. During the title track from his recent River in Reverse album, which he co-wrote and recorded with New Orleans legend Allen Touissant, Costello led a call-response with the crowd as he and we alternately sang "wake me up" though we already were quite awake and attentive. Costello also sang “Either Side of the Same Town” from his 2004 album, Delivery Man, which lent itself perfectly to a solo performance, and closed with the poignant “The Scarlet Tide” from that same album.

Technorati tags:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home