club D

I'm a 38-year-old gal, living in the Washington, DC area, who loves going to concerts of all kinds. My blog tracks most shows I attend. Hope you enjoy, and feel free to comment!

Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Three Gals and Their Buddy at the Birchmere

Patty Griffin, Emmylou Harris, Shawn Colvin, and Buddy Miller
Feb. 4, the Birchmere, Alexandria, Virginia

Four veteran musicians who have worked together on the road, and who just plain really like each other, came together to play the Birchmere for two nights to open their tour. Emmylou Harris, Patty Griffin, Shawn Colvin, and Buddy Miller have titled this tour, "Three Girls and a Buddy tour," though Miller will take a hiatus to perform at the Grammys this weekend with Robert Plant and Alison Krauss, who he toured with last year.

The four remained seated for the two-hour show, taking turns singing their own songs, each other's songs, and a few covers--often harmonizing and collaborating on guitars and percussion--and telling stories. Two beautiful covers they harmonized on together were the BeeGees ballad, "To Love Somebody," led by Miller, and the Beatles' "I'll Be Back," led by Colvin.

It was a lovely, intimate evening.

Check out Dave's blog for more impressions of the show.


Set List:
ELH - Jupiter Rising
PG - If I Had My Way, I’d Tear This Building Down (Blind Willie Johnson)
SC - Trouble
BM - Does My Ring Burn Your Finger
ELH - Strong Hand (Just One Miracle)
PG - Our Love is a Dud
SC - I’ll Be Back (Beatles) - with PG and ELH harmonizing
BM - To Love Somebody (Barry and Robin Gibb)
ELH - My Antonia - with BM
PG - I Want to be With You Always (Lefty Frizzell)
SC - Summer Dress
BM - Poison Love (Mrs Elmer Laird)
ELH - Moon Song (Patty Griffin)
PG - Not a Bad Man
SC - Witchita Skyline
BM - Shelter Me
ELH - This is to Mother You (Sinead O’Connor) w/ PG and SC
PG - When it Don’t Come Easy
SC - Venetian Blue
BM - Written in Chalk w/ PG taking Julie Miller’s (Buddy’s wife’s) part
ELH - Boulder to Birmingham

Encore
All - To Know Him is to Love Him (Phil Spector)
All - Mary (Patty Griffin)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home