club D

I'm a 38-year-old gal, living in the Washington, DC area, who loves going to concerts of all kinds. My blog tracks most shows I attend. Hope you enjoy, and feel free to comment!

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

DC Local Music Scene--Band to Watch: The Echoes



In photo: My friend Alexandra and I with Echoes bassist Patrick Williams.



Recommended Beverage to
go with this show:
Bock beer (bold
and slightly dark)


I caught two recent shows of the Echoes at Jammin’ Java in January and Iota back in December, and must admit I’m hooked. The band blends rock, punk, Britpop, and soul, and their clever, catchy hooks will draw you in. Live, the music takes on a new life; the already powerful songs have a raw energy that will move you. [check out the band's My Space page].
The Echoes play tunes that are at times infectious and upbeat, and at times mellow and brooding. Their song, “Malina,” off their EP Streetwalker, also available on the band’s website, just reels you in with its driving beat and sultry vocals. The band is scheduled to release a full-length album in the spring.

The Echoes feature singer/songwriter/guitarist Anthony Fiacco, bassist Patrick Williams, and Rick Hodes on drums. Together they’re tight and have a strong stage presence.

Their sound is familiar yet original. They claim a wide range of influences—from the Beatles and Stones to Led Zeppelin and Tom Petty; from the Kinks to Bob Dylan and from Otis Reading to Johnny Cash. Indie and Britpop fans will love their sound, which to me also evokes a bit of the Stereophonics (UK) and the Ramones.

I selfishly want them to stay somewhat of a well-kept secret so they keep playing the small clubs. This band has the talent to go far. Catch them soon; catch them often. Look for them in a club near you...

1 Comments:

  • At 2:13 PM, Blogger Alexandra said…

    Dana, righteous new blog!

    Of course I'm in complete agreement regarding the Echoes - absolutely slobberific. Word on the street is we can expect a full-length sometime this year. Keep your fingers crossed.

    Cute pic, if I do say so myself. That bassist is HOT.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home