club D

I'm a 38-year-old gal, living in the Washington, DC area, who loves going to concerts of all kinds. My blog tracks most shows I attend. Hope you enjoy, and feel free to comment!

Monday, January 29, 2007

Local Scene / Band to Watch: Seed Is

A rich and powerful sound emanated from the stage as I climbed the stairs of the Velvet Lounge on Sunday night to catch a couple of the groups at the Emergenza Festival. That sound was coming from a Norfolk, VA-based band called Seed Is. There were so many interesting elements to their music. They had so much going on—all of it good.

I first thought: how did the 10 of them fit on the Velvet Lounge’s tiny stage? I then took in the rest. They had a female bassist, front and center, who sang in the low register while a second female vocalist belted out the harmony. Behind them were a three-piece horn section, keyboardist, drummer, percussionist, and guitarist. The tenth guy stepped on stage periodically to rap and sing.

The grooves generally had a rock or reggae base with other styles skillfully thrown in, from funk and soul to jazz. The sound was full and tight and absolutely rocking. One could not help dancing, even in the small confines of that room. Seed Is has been together for 8+ years and has developed a substantial following from relentless touring along the East coast. Their fans are hooked and I’d like to consider myself among the newest Seedlings.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks so much for the COOL comments on the band. I am Nikki the bassist/singer and I would love to see you out this Friday, April 14th @ Jammin Java in Vienna,VA for the 2nd Round of The Emergenza Festival. There are about 12 bands on the ticket and we will be playing around 10PM. Hope to see you there and feel free to contact me at nikki@seedis.com! Seed Is . . . YOU!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home