club D

I'm a 38-year-old gal, living in the Washington, DC area, who loves going to concerts of all kinds. My blog tracks most shows I attend. Hope you enjoy, and feel free to comment!

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

SYGC and The Singles Shake It Up

The Red & the Black, DC, April 12
Recommended beverage:
Louisiana's Abita beer is the drink of choice
at this bar.

The room was sparse, and what a shame, for this was quite a little show. Opening night of the Six Points Music Festival--which originally was founded to showcase local talent--two bands from...New York and Detroit played the Red & the Black.

corrected/amended, April 22

I was drinking my beer downstairs, chatting with Corinne, the bartender, about the Yanks (she's from Long Island. How cool is that?!) and managed to miss the first band, the Lisps, who are from Brooklyn, NY (my hometown). I checked out their website, though, afterward and really loved their stuff.

First up, from when I made my way upstairs, was the Chicago-based Scotland Yard Gospel Choir, who played a great set of folk-punk pop, if I'm allowed to make up a new genre. I found them instantly mesmerizing and engaging. In good spirits, they joked about the small crowd and that they usually play with a larger band. Following a love ballad, the singer joked that the topic wasn't as much fun as, say, Jewish mothers or communists, which got a chuckle. Performing as a trio--vocalist/guitarist, violinist, and drummer--minus their lead female vocalist, SYGC had a unique sound. Great sound! Thoroughly enjoyed these guys.

Closing the show, another quartet who were a threesome that night, the Singles from Detroit put the power in power-pop. Celebrating their new album, Start Again, they played a rockin' set. The band's music was firmly rooted in 60s-Britpop goodness. I particularly enjoyed the catchy guitar licks of the song "Hypnotized." Sporting Monkees' haircuts, lead singer Vince Frederick—kinda pale, lanky frame, wearing thick glasses—reminds one of that genius you cheated off of back in high school chem class.

Both bands did a fantastic job mixing retro and modern sounds. I was proud of my inadvertent good timing in catching this fine night of music. Check these bands out when they come to your 'hood.

Yay for great original music!

Thanks to Cesar for his correction (see comment). I do strive for accuracy. :)

1 Comments:

  • At 11:33 PM, Blogger César said…

    The band that you reviewed here, w/ the violin etc, is called Scotland Yard Gospel Choir and they're from Chicago. The Lisps played before them. Just so you know!
    love:cesar (of the lisps)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home