club D

I'm a 38-year-old gal, living in the Washington, DC area, who loves going to concerts of all kinds. My blog tracks most shows I attend. Hope you enjoy, and feel free to comment!

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

What's Spinning?

ClubD has yet to go digital. Still listening to that archaic art form known as a compact disc. Here are a few cds spinning in my world right now.

The Fratellis:
On the heels of winning the 2007 Brit Award for British Breakthrough Act, this Scottish band's debut album, Costello Music, hit the stores yesterday on our continent and it's brilliant. They are post-punk in an Arctic Monkeys meets Stereophonics meets the Strokes sorta way and one can't help but "bah da bop ba dah" to their choruses. It's hard to sing along to the rest because their thick accents often make it hard to understand what in the 'ell these blokes are sayin' at times, but maybe it's just as well. I'm not sure I want to know what the album's final song "Got Ma Nuts from a Hippy" is about. The song "Flathead" is so infectious, IPod picked it up for a commercial. The rocking rhythms and vocal harmonies throughout the disc are fantastic. Stunning. Check 'em out.

John Cougar Mellencamp's Freedom's Road:
I discovered he had a new album out when he was a recent guest on the Daily Show, my trusted source for news. So I checked it out and I must say, it's the best thing this guy has put out in a couple of decades. Good solid rock with meaningful lyrics.

Ray LaMontagne's Till the Sun Turns Black:
Finally picked up this follow-up to his brilliant debut, Trouble, and it's wonderful. Listening to his smoky, soulful vocals is the perfect way to spend a relaxing Sunday morning.

Supposedly phenomenal album that I need to hear, according to my buddy Bill:
Arcade Fire, Neon Bible. I'm on the case and will report back.
Cheers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home