club D

I'm a 38-year-old gal, living in the Washington, DC area, who loves going to concerts of all kinds. My blog tracks most shows I attend. Hope you enjoy, and feel free to comment!

Saturday, November 24, 2007

Triangle Man Hates Particle Man

They Might Be Giants, w/ Oppenheimer
9:30 Club, Washington DC, November 23
Recommended beverage to go with this show:
Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat (upstairs bar)

They Might Be Giants continues to master the art of simultaneously being goofy and a solid rock band. The crowd bopped around, smiled and laughed through their long set, the perfect release from post-Thanksgiving doldrums. Singer John Linnell's banter between songs occasionally frustrated a few fans just wanting them to get on with the music, but the band took the heckling in good spirit.

Touring to promote their new album, The Else, the long set included many beloved songs from their 25-year career, including "Boss of Me," "Birdhouse in Your Soul," and, of course, "Particle Man." The Triceratops Horn Section made an appearance on several songs, really rounding out their sound. TMBG, who hail from Brooklyn, New York (home of the world's best pizza and where this blogger grew up--but I digress) put on an energetic, rockin' show and one never expects anything less from these guys.

Oppenheimer, an electronica duo from Belfast, performed a fantastic opening set. Here's an amusing conversation between me and a friend during their first song, given my obstructed view in the balcony.

me: "wow, that chick sounds great."
friend: "what chick?"
me: "the one singing. Great voice."
friend: "that's not a girl. That's a bald guy."
me: "That's a dude?.....No! Holy sh..."

Then, upon further reflection during their too-brief set, it occurred to me they sound like a cross between the Lightning Seeds and Anything Box. Very retro. Check 'em out.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home