club D

I'm a 38-year-old gal, living in the Washington, DC area, who loves going to concerts of all kinds. My blog tracks most shows I attend. Hope you enjoy, and feel free to comment!

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Summer Preview: A Ballpark Hit

Billy Joel and Elton John, July 11
at Nationals Park, Washington, D.C.

It’s official: Nationals Park will play host to its first concert this summer. On July 11, piano rockers Billy Joel and Elton John will share the field for a co-bill. The two musical buddies started touring together back in 1994 and have repeatedly performed together over the years.

I missed that first tour in 1994, as I had spent that summer studying in Russia. But I caught them some eight years later at what was then the MCI Center in Washington. The Rocket Man and Piano Man each performed a set, each sang a couple of the other’s songs, and they did a couple of duets. I remember Joel joking how Elton John had looked through his concert wardrobe and saw nothing but black suits, so John took one of his own brightly colored ties, cut it in half, and stuck it on Joel’s lapel. “We need to give you a splash of color,” John had told Joel.

Joel’s and John’s mutual respect and friendship bring out memorable performances and some levity, but don’t expect too many surprises. I’d love to be proven wrong here. Their joint show tends to be an evening of greatest hits with a couple of duets mixed in. For me, I’m quite happy with John’s greatest hits. Bring on the “Crocodile Rock.” But for Joel, I thrive on the rarities.

Joel’s solo shows in recent years have followed a standard set list with one or two rare gems thrown in. I’ve attended numerous Joel shows in recent years hoping for the unexpected, and I’ve been happily surprised several times. He tossed in “Sleeping With the Television On,” and “Stiletto” in Boston a few years back; and “Everybody Loves You Now” from Cold Spring Harbor has become a live standard of late. And my friend called earlier this month from a recent show in Florida to say Joel pulled out “Travelin’ Prayer.” That’s about as deep a track as a longtime fan could hope for.

The July 11 show is reported to follow a similar format to their previous tours together. It’s definitely a don’t-miss show. Longtime Billy and Elton fans will enjoy singing along to their hits and watching their interaction, and perhaps a surprise or two will work its way into this show.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home