club D

I'm a 38-year-old gal, living in the Washington, DC area, who loves going to concerts of all kinds. My blog tracks most shows I attend. Hope you enjoy, and feel free to comment!

Sunday, April 16, 2006

Billy Joel: Round 3

Recommended Beverage to go with this Show:
a bottle of red (or, perhaps, 2)

Billy Joel's music always has, and always will, touch my soul more deeply than any other musician. I have laughed and cried to his music since I was a toddler. My first concert was Billy Joel at the Meadowlands in December 1986, ironically the year the (cough) Bridge album came out. I was 13 and overjoyed when my older brother, then a college freshman, invited me, his pesky kid sister, along. Much later, in 1998, at Madison Square Garden, I finally heard my favorite song live, "Summer, Highland Falls," and I literally collapsed in joy. That song has comforted me hundreds of times and it still resonates with me today. "It's either sadness or euphoria."

Such was my range of sentiments at Friday night's show at the Verizon Center. Like many folks at that show, I'm a huge, longtime fan. But clearly Billy didn't plan for the fact that some of his fans who saw him that night also might have seen him there last month (see "Billy Joel: Round 2"). The setlist was nearly identical, except for two changes. One, he performed Ballad of Billy the Kid instead of Captain Jack. No complaints. I'm happy to hear either of those classics from the Piano Man album. And two—it turns out my luck ran dry and after two shows escaping the Bridge album--out came Matter of Trust. But the kids went wild for that one. Some of them were about the age I was when i first saw Billy in concert. It's inspiring to see several generations enjoying his music and deriving so much from his emotive melodies and meaningful lyrics.

My expectations had soared when, crazy fan that I am, I recently looked up recent setlists online. And I noticed that, earlier in April, Billy played Phoenix. There, back to back, he played Miami 2017 and Vienna. My pulse skipped a beat. This NY transplant hoped it would happen, and either of those songs would have made me ecstatic. But it was not to be.

I'm thrilled that he's been playing such phenomenal "oldies" like Everybody Loves You Now, the Entertainer, and Zanzibar on this tour. Since he's touring with several musicians who have toured with him for decades and given his vast repertoire, I'd hoped for even more rarities. But, in the end, I'm happy hearing whatever he performs and hope he continues to tour long into old age.

"And your momentos will turn to dust
but that's the price you pay,
For every year is a souvenir that slowly fades away."

Souvenir, from Streetlife Serenade, 1975

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home